Dear Fellow Texas Republican,
Governor Abbott’s call for a special session included 10 items that pertain to our RPT Platform planks. One of those items is privacy, which is addressed in RPT Platform plank 87:
“We urge the enactment of legislation addressing individuals’ use of bathrooms, showers and locker rooms that correspond with their biologically determined sex.”
The Privacy Act also relates to an RPT legislative priority. The SREC committee identified it as one of the two items necessary to fully enact the Religious Liberties priority.
- The platform language is open-ended.
- This is an issue that is important to Republicans, who want to see legislative action.
- This is about more than bathrooms. It is just as much about ensuring privacy protections in public showers and locker rooms (e.g., showers in public schools).
- We should not require that a private business or individual create or provide a custom product or service.
To learn more about Privacy as it relates to our Platform & Priorities, please click here.
If you would like to help turn Plank 87 into passed legislation, here are some important action items. Take 2 minutes to do your favorite 2 action items right now!
- Contact your legislators. Let them know you support plank 87. Tell them you’d like to see the legislature address the privacy issue in accordance with RPT Platform plank 87. Click here to find your legislators.
- Share this post on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word about plank 87 & the Religious Liberties priority.
- Call the House and Senate “Designated Sponsor” for this item. Governor Abbott designated Senator Lois Kolkhorst and Representative Ron Simmons to take the lead in ensuring that legislation pertaining to plank 87 gets passed. Call Senator Kolkhorst’s office (512) 463-0118, and Representative Simmons’ office (512) 463-0478, and let them know you support their efforts to address privacy in accordance with the RPT Platform plank 87 & the Religious Liberties priority.
- Join S.T.A.T. (our Strategic Texas Activist Team). Become a S.T.A.T. Deputy to receive action alerts for legislation relating to this platform plank & priority. We will send you a notice when your help is needed so you can make phone calls at critical points, testify at a hearing, or join us in the gallery for passage. Even if you are unable to come to Austin, you can be a valuable S.T.A.T. deputy! (sign up for email alerts; join our facebook group)
- Make a contribution to fund RPT’s vital efforts during the upcoming special session. Click here to contribute immediately.
With your help, we can support critical legislation relating to RPT platform plank 87 & the RPT Religious Liberties priority, addressing privacy in Texas. Together we can make a difference! Please take action immediately so that we can show the legislature how important our platform is to us.
Thank you for your continued support!
The Republican Party of Texas
P.S.- Would you forward this email to your friends? We need as many activists engaged as possible, and there are only a few days before the special session starts. Thank you!